Monday, April 12, 2010

Daintree Rainforest

After my trip to the Great Barrier Reef, I went up to the Daintree Rainforest. It is the world's oldest rainforest and is a World Heritage site. I took a two day overnight tour of the area and learned a lot while seeing some great sights of the rainforest. One of my tour guides was an aboriginal man, so I got to learn a bit about their culture and he told us some interesting aboriginal stories about how various things in the rainforest came to be. On the tour, went to Mossman Gorge, did a short hike through the area, visited a small zoo of native animals, viewed the mouth of the Daintree River from a lookout in the Alexandra Range, and then got dropped off at our accommodations in the middle of the rainforest. I spent the evening exploring the beaches (which we couldn't swim in because of jellyfish.) The next morning, I explored around a bit more, then got picked up for the remainder of the tour. We went on a cruise of the Daintree River and spotted some saltwater crocodiles, visited the tourist town of Port Douglas, and saw the sunset from the Rex Range on the way back to Cairns.

Mossman Gorge

View from the Alexandra Range

Mangrove tree on the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment